What to do when you are burnt out. Burnout is a state of emotional, physical, and mental exhaustion caused by excessive and prolonged stress. It occurs when you feel overwhelmed, emotionally drained, and unable to meet constant demands. What to do when you are burnt out? First, we have to know the signs.
10 signs of burnt out
According to Dr. David Ballard of the American Psychological Association, these are the 10 signs.
- Exhaustion. If you feel you are being tired all the time and having no energy.
- Lack of motivation. When you are no longer enthusiastic or you lose the drive to do the thing you used to do.
- Negative emotions such as frustration and cynicism. You become a pessimist and you feel you are no longer valued.
- Cognitive Problems. You lost focus. When the stress becomes chronic. Your focus will be narrowed and you will have difficulty paying attention.
- Slipping job performance. It will manifest in your job performance because of your lack of interest and focus thus it will result in poor performance at work.
- Interpersonal problems at home and at work. You will have conflicts with others because you tend to argue or withdraw. You will become physically present but mentally absent.
- Not taking care of yourself. People suffering from burnt-out tend to engage in unhealthy habits. They consume too much alcohol, smoke a lot, and eat plenty of unhealthy foods like junk foods.
- Being preoccupied with work even after working hours. Even when not in working hours or in the workplace you tend to think about work all the time and stressed about it.
- Generally decreased satisfaction. This is the tendency to feel less happy or satisfied with career and home life. You even feel stuck in whatever is going on with the world around you.
- Health problems. Over a period of time if this will persist you may experience real health problems like digestive issues, heart disease, depression, or obesity.
When you feel all of the above symptoms it might probably be that you are burnt out. Try to shift your focus and look for the light or just lit the match so you can see the light. Be more at peace with yourself. See things from a different perspective and find that fire within you and let it ignite.
When you find that light and be intentional you will also find ways to be productive at work and in life. If you want some help dealing with burnt-out, kindly check out our resources.
Watch this to know more…