The 80/20 principle of planning was derived from the 80/20 principle also known as the Pareto Principle which originated from Vilfredo Pareto. It states that 80% of output or results will come from 20% of the input or action. Although this principle is widely used in business. This is also applicable in life planning. Did you know that you can plan 80% of your life and 20% you cannot? If you don’t properly plan the 80%, the remaining 20% feels like a hundred percent.
In applying the principle in your life, Answer the following questions.
- What are the 20% of your possessions you get the most value out of?
- What do you spend 20% of your time doing that gives you 80% of your happiness?
- Who are the 20% of people you’re close to who makes you the happiest?
- What are the 20% of the clothes you wear 80% of the time?
- What’s the 20% of the food you eat 80% of the time?
After answering all those questions, what are the changes that you could make in your life now. What are that 20% that can influence the 80%? Once you’ve answered them you can easily focus on increasing the efficiencies in your life.
When you are not able to carefully plan for the 80% you will become overwhelmed and you feel like there are so many things that you need to do. You need to actually break down the things in your life to deal with the chaos and confusion and find out what causes the issue.
Use the 80/20 principle of planning as a tool to check on all the aspects of your life. Spare some time to reflect on the principle and maybe write it down. A good planner will become handy on this undertaking. You will be surprised by your realization.
Watch this to know more…